Creating a Website can be a rather daunting task. Often, we hire professionals to do this for us, but it is also a good idea to do it on our own. If we create our own website, it will be easier to make changes, add improvements and update the content. Some people are very particular about the content, design and layout of the website. There are things that we may need to do:
- Images are not made efficient: If we don’t have efficient images, the loading time will be much slower. As an example, there could be plenty of white space in our images and adding them will increase the file size. We should delete excess areas of the images when designing them. It is preferable to optimize JPG files with Photoshop and we should be able to find a balance between quality and file size.
- We don’t help people find us: We may accidentally stay hidden and we don’t try to allow people find us. We should make sure that search engines love our website and there is unique information in our website. If we have good content, people will find our website through regular Google Search and if we have great images, people may visit our websites through Google Images or other image search services. By not adding enough content, people will be reluctant to visit our website.
- Our design is too noisy: We shouldn’t go overboard with the graphics and text styles. It is also not necessary to use music and sound effects in our website. Websites that are too noisy could cause people avoid visiting them.
- We don’t use the right fonts: Some people get too creative with the type of font they use. In general, Times New Roman and Arial are more than enough. If our fonts are too intricate, people will find it harder to scan our text, because they will read only if they find a paragraph that they are interested in.
- We are not consistent: Many website owners are consistent enough with their website. Our content and the overall look of the website should remain consistent. Each link should be added appropriately and we shouldn’t worry too much about details. Inconsistency will cause people to feel less interested in staying too long in our website.
- We use too much advertising: There are different advertising networks that we can choose to boost our revenue. We may get money if people click the ads or simply read the banner (impression). It is acceptable to allocate sections for ads in our website but they shouldn’t be too intrusive. With properly allocated layout, the overall experience of our website could actually be enhanced.
Creating a website is easy and we should choose improper techniques and methods that discourage people from visiting our website again. We could make affordable and quick changes if there are inappropriate elements in our website.